Share This Article
Psoriasis is a skin condition that causes swollen, red skin patches covered by a silvery-white buildup of dead skin cells. Although psoriasis is not a life-threatening condition, it can cause emotional distress because of the appearance of the skin and be debilitating for those who have widespread symptoms. Several herbs may help reduce swelling and pain associated with your body’s immune system attacking the normal healthy cells in your skin, causing inflammation and lesions. So, let’s know how herbs are helpful and the dos and don’ts of using herbs for psoriasis.
Why use herbs for psoriasis treatment?
Herbs are natural remedies, and they do not cause any harmful side effects like modern medicine. They can help with psoriasis because they contain antioxidant properties that may reduce the swelling and pain associated with lowering the white blood cell activity in your body. The anti-inflammatory properties in these herbs will reduce the redness and annoyance of lesions and stop further skin damage by repairing the skin cells damaged due to this condition.
Which herbs can be used for psoriasis treatment:
- Aloe vera gel: The most valuable part of aloe vera is its anti-inflammatory action against conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, etc., It has proved to be beneficial to the skin, and it’s one of the most popular herbs for psoriasis. You can take aloe vera orally and use it topically to get relief and nourishment from psoriasis symptoms.
- Turmeric: Another popular herb that can be used to relieve psoriasis symptoms is turmeric. It has potent anti-inflammatory properties, and it has been tested on skin cells of patients with psoriasis and found to provide relief from the symptoms.
- Licorice root: It also contains anti-inflammatory properties and can help reduce itching, pain, and inflammation. You can take licorice root orally or make a tea with it by adding honey to the taste. Alternatively, you can add some fresh juice of the herb in water to drink several times a day for its benefits.
- Ginger: Ginger’s got anti-inflammatory action that fights against rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis. You can take ginger root raw, cook it or add it to your favorite dish, or add fresh juice of this herb into the water and drink several times a day for relief from inflammatory action in your body.
- Sea salt: You can use sea salt instead of regular table salt, and it helps you retain the fluid balance in your body and provides some relief from the itchy skin associated with psoriasis. Add natural, unprocessed sea salt to your food while cooking daily so that you get some anti-inflammatory properties along with its other minerals naturally present inside sea salts.
- Chamomile Herbal tea: Take 3 cups of chamomile tea daily. It helps decrease inflammation and provides relief from the itching by reducing the redness associated with psoriasis.
- Sesame oil: Sesame oil is rich in vitamin E content which acts as an antioxidant inside the body and repairs the cells that are damaged due to psoriasis, You can apply sesame oil, or you can add some fresh juice of this herb into your meals daily to get rid of psoriasis symptoms.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties that make it beneficial for patients who have psoriasis. You can drink cinnamon tea (boil water with one stick of cinnamon) daily or take two cinnamon capsules orally twice a day.
- Alkanet: Alkanet root has been used for centuries to treat various skin disorders, including psoriasis, boils, and abscesses. You can add alkanet root powder in some olive oil and apply it to the lesions, or you can take this herb orally with water to get its benefits.
- Grape seed extractis a powerful antioxidant that helps fight the free radicals that cause many health problems such as inflammatory conditions like psoriasis. It also reduces inflammation by inhibiting the COX-2 enzyme, which gets activated during inflammatory processes inside the body. You can take grape seed extract orally daily, or you can add grape seed to your meals or drinks several times a day for its benefit.
- Evening primrose oil: Evening primrose oil is rich in GLA, i.e., gamma-linolenic acid, which has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, and it also reduces the symptoms associated with inflammatory conditions such as psoriasis; you can take evening primrose oil orally daily, or you can include this herb in your meals several times a day to get rid of inflammatory action inside your body caused due to psoriasis condition.
- Sarsaparilla: It helps improve blood circulation and can reduce Psoriasis symptoms by removing toxins from the skin and stimulating the cell regeneration process, you can drink sarsaparilla tea orally twice a day, or you can add some fresh juice of this herb into your meals daily to get rid of psoriasis symptoms.
- Burdock root: This herb is rich in minerals and vitamins, especially vitamin A which helps improve skin structure and prevent dryness associated with psoriasis, you can drink burdock root tea daily, or you can take some fresh juice of this herb several times a day for its benefits.
- Parsley: It not only regulates body fluid levels but also prevents the accumulation of fluids that might cause psoriasis flare-ups. To use parsley for psoriasis conditions, add high-quality organic parsley powder in some coconut oil and apply it daily to skin lesions.
- Chamomile: This herb has been used for centuries to treat various health disorders, including psoriasis; you can drink chamomile herbal tea both in the morning and evening regularly to get rid of inflammatory conditions associated with psoriasis and other skin disorders naturally and safely.
These are few herbs that can help in psoriasis treatment, and you can add these herbs to your daily meal to get rid of psoriasis naturally.
What things to keep in mind for herbal psoriasis treatment:
- Use only high-quality herbal products as low-grade herbs will be of no use to your body
- Drink at least 3-5 cups of herbal tea daily for the best results
- You can also add organic parsley, organic chamomile, and other valuable herbs to your meals if you cannot drink 3-5 cups of herbal tea regularly
- Avoid taking any toxic medicines as it might worsen your psoriasis condition
- Go for regular check-ups from a reputed healthcare provider who is well versed in treating psoriasis naturally without side effects.
What are the possible side effects of using herbs?
- All the herbs are 100% natural, but all herbal products might not be safe for everyone. Some people might be allergic to certain kinds of plants or herbs used in herbal psoriasis treatments. So, you need to consult your healthcare provider before starting any type of herbal treatment method, especially if you take some other medications daily.
- Organic chamomile is considered one of the safest herbs to use for psoriasis. Still, it might cause side effects like dry mouth and slight drowsiness, easily treated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day or by chewing sugar-free gum after meals.
- Excessive intake of burdock root tincture can lead to diarrhoea, vomiting, nausea, etc., in some people. Hence, you need to go in for a natural cure for psoriasis only after consulting your healthcare provider.
- Evening primrose oil is not recommended for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers as it might cause congenital disabilities or other health problems associated with the reproductive system; you should talk to your doctor before using this herbal treatment method if you plan for pregnancy anytime soon.
- Burdock root tea can lead to increased menstrual flow and uterine bleeding, which might increase the risk of blood clotting disorders, So you should avoid burdock root tea if you have a history of blood clotting disorder in the family or any cardiovascular problems because this herb might worsen these conditions due to its blood-thinning properties.
- A high dosage of chamomile tea might lead to skin allergies in some people. Hence, you need to go for natural treatment methods for psoriasis only after consulting your healthcare provider.
- Organic garlic might cause gastrointestinal disturbances or indigestion if taken in excess, so it is recommended that you should take this herb at a moderate dosage only.
Possible ways to prevent psoriasis flare-ups:
- Reduce intake of trans fats, junk foods, and refined carbohydrates as they increase the risk of obesity, leading to inflammatory conditions associated with psoriasis condition
- Use non-comedogenic sunscreen creams regularly when going out in the sun because psoriatic lesions are usually triggered by UV light from the sun
- You can use coconut oil or olive oil to moisturize your skin from time to time, as they are considered helpful in the psoriasis treatment method
- Use a humidifier at home to add moisture in the air and prevent dryness of the skin
- Take a bath using oatmeal-based soaps or shampoos, which have soothing effects on your skin and prevents the itching associated with psoriasis condition
- Adjust the room temperature according to your comfort level because cold weather conditions might trigger psoriatic skin lesions
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to maintain proper hydration levels and keep away from dehydrated conditions
- Stress is one of the most common triggers for psoriasis flare-up, so you need to practice breathing techniques or meditation to reduce stress at work or home
- Omega-3 fatty acids help in rapid wound healing and might be helpful in psoriasis treatment
- Regular exercise is considered helpful in reducing the risk of psoriasis condition because it reduces stress levels, boosts immunity, and keeps your body fit and healthy. You should talk to your doctor before starting any new exercise regime as some exercises might not be suitable for people with psoriatic skin conditions like pustular psoriasis.
What are the other treatments you can use with herbal medicine?
- Steroid creams are helpful in psoriasis treatment, but over usage might trigger steroid dependence.
- Phototherapy is one of the most effective psoriasis treatment methods, which helps in improving blood circulation and will also reduce redness, itching, and inflammation. People with blonde or red hair should avoid this method because it can increase pigmentation levels in their skin if exposed to UV light for long durations.
- Oral medications are available in tablet form only, so people who have difficulty swallowing tablets might not find these treatments suitable for them.
- Topical medications are available in cream or ointment forms to be easy to use compared to oral pills.
Benefits of Homeopathic Treatment for psoriasis:
- Homeopathic remedies are prepared from natural ingredients, which, when administered in appropriate doses, can offer relief from symptoms of psoriasis.
- These are non-toxic, do not cause any adverse effects, and are easy to administer.
- Homeopathy treatment for psoriasis can control many symptoms, including itching, redness, scaling, burning sensation, etc.
- Homeopathic treatment also helps to deal with the underlying causes of psoriasis and provides permanent relief from symptoms. Remedies can also help to restore the healthy color, texture, and thickness of the skin.
- Homeopathic treatment for Psoriasis is a holistic approach that improves overall health rather than suppressing symptoms or curing just the lesion. It has been observed that homeopathy relieves existing symptoms and helps to slow down the formation of new lesions.
- Individualized homeopathic treatment for psoriasis can prove to be an effective and safe alternative to conventional therapies. Homeopathy not only helps to control the condition but also prevents recurrence of flare-ups in the future.
Homeopathy doctors treat vitiligo at home with Homeopathy medicines that help to achieve a healthy skin complexion. It is a 100% safe and natural method for the treatment of vitiligo without side effects. You can book an appointment through OHO Homeopathy for detailed information!