Share This Article
Diet plays a vital role in the health of our skin as well as the whole body. We often come across people who keep on complaining about their pimples and acne problems but don’t even know what kind of food they are eating is worsening their condition or not? Today, I am here with this article which will tell you how you can control your pimple problems by diet alone.
What are Pimples?
Pimples or Acne are caused because of excess production of sebum by oil glands present in the skin. As a result, the pores become blocked due to these secretions along with dead skin cells. This makes way for infectious bacteria to quickly enter and grow in the clogged pores, resulting in the appearance of pimples.
What causes pimples?
There are many reasons responsible for the occurrence of pimples. Like:
1. Junk food: It is the most common and significant cause of pimple problems. Junk foods and spicy foods reduce the immune system and decelerate the body’s natural ability to defend against acne-causing bacteria. Such kind of food should be avoided entirely if you have sensitive skin prone to pimples.
2. Hormonal Imbalance: In women, hormonal imbalance is a widespread problem that leads to various skin diseases, including acne breakouts. Acne may occur in the menstrual period due to the fluctuation of hormones during this time. Thus women going through their puberty stage must take proper care while dieting as it may lead to severe effects on your skin.
3. Stress levels: Stress hormone cortisol can activate oil glands present under the skin, which causes more sebum production. This eventually clogs the pores giving way to acne breakouts. So try to stay relaxed, meditate or do some daily exercise to avoid getting stressed out.
4. Deficiency of specific vitamins: A diet deficient in vitamin A, B6, C, and zinc can also cause problems like pimples on your face. Consumption of more fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is necessary for healthy skin.
5. Washing face too much: It is noticed that people wash their face more often with harsh soaps or cleansers that are not formulated, especially for the sensitive area around the eyes & nose area where acne problems commonly occur—also using very hot water on face while bathing is a big no-no. It further damages the already sensitive skin pores, thus causing acne breakouts.
6. Lack of sleep: Not getting adequate sleep or not having an appropriate sleep cycle also makes your body tired; the weak, thus weaker immune system cannot fight against acne-causing bacteria quickly, resulting in acne problems.
Avoid these food items to remove pimples!
It is essential to control your diet correctly if you are suffering from pimple problems; otherwise, it will make the situation worse and more complicated to cure as time passes by. Consumption of certain foods can trigger sebum production, which clogs pores faster, leading to more pimples over the skin. To avoid consuming the following kinds of foods, especially if you have sensitive skin prone to spots.
1. Junk food: This food contains lots of additives, preservatives, and artificial chemicals, which are harmful to health in the long run. They cause severe damage to body organs when consumed for a more extended period.
2. Spicy & Highly seasoned foods: Consumption of very spicy or highly seasoned food can affect your digestive system causing stomach aches, indigestion, etc. So try not to consume many spicy foods if you have a pimples problem. It is advised to eat moderately spiced foods to avoid getting worse acne breakouts over the affected area.
3. Dairy products: Many people think that consumption of dairy products helps reduce acne breakouts, but it is an opposite fact; recent research found out that consumption of milk causes pimples problems. Milk contains natural sugar, which feeds the acne-causing bacteria resulting in more pimples over the skin. It is noticed that people with acne problems are more likely to develop a high level of dairy consumption as they think it can help reduce their daily stress levels, reduce body fat, etc.
4. Certain fruits: Some fruits like Banana, Orange, and Lemon contain lots of vitamin C, which oxidizes when exposed to air and further results in the formation of free radicals and acids, thus clogging pores faster. So avoid consuming Banana, Orange, and Lemon if you have acne breakouts over your neck, back, or face area. Limit these foods to once or twice a week if necessary. Bananas should be consumed only when used as ingredients for other smoothies or milkshakes. Lemons and Oranges should be used for just flavoring purposes only. It is better to eat them as a whole(without peeling) than consume them as juices out of fear of getting acne breakouts.
5. Spicy food: Spicy foods like chilies, red pepper, black pepper contain lots of capsaicin which can affect your stomach causing gastric problems later on if consumed daily. To avoid consumption of spicy foods if you have pimples problem as it may worsen the condition further. Also, some ingredients like Black Pepper and Red Chilies can cause skin irritation, leading to more pimples over the skin by clogging the pores faster due to excess sebum production over the skin surface area.
6. Vegetables that cause pimples: Some vegetables like Potatoes, Onions, etc., may not be beneficial when you have acne problems as they contain natural irritating chemicals which can further cause skin irritation leading to the development of more pimples over the skin. To sum it up, avoid consuming spicy foods, milk, dairy products, citrus fruits, and a specific type of vegetables if you have sensitive skin prone to pimples. Avoid them in excess or once a week, so there is no need to worry about getting such dangerous acne breakouts on the face & neck.
7. Certain drinks: Some people may include the consumption of alcoholic beverages and coffee in their daily diet due to some reason. But these drinks can cause serious health concerns, more so if consumed for a more extended period. Excess alcohol intake causes more skin irritation over the affected area, which may result in more pimples.
8. Certain beverages: Drinking too much coffee is also not good for health as it is acidic, which can cause severe problems in the affected area. Coffee contains natural caffeine that enhances blood circulation, leading to a faster rate of skin cell production/shedding, resulting in more pimples over the skin.
9. Sugar products: Excess consumption of sugar products can worsen acne problems as they enhance the reproduction rate of skin cells through a process called glycogenesis. It should be consumed in minimum amounts, especially if you have a pimples problem. We now know what not to eat to reduce pimples; it’s time to learn what should be consumed daily if you have a severe acne problem.
Here are the food items you must include to prevent acne or pimples
Green vegetables: Green leafy vegetables should be included in the daily diet as they contain lots of antioxidants which help to reduce the appearance of more pimples over the skin. Try to include the following green veggies in your diet :Broccoli: Consumption of broccoli can help our body prevent the formation of excess sebum over skin surface area by removing harmful free radicals from the blood. It is rich in fiber and vitamins A, C & E, which results in a better production rate of collagen that helps build muscular connective tissues, leading to reduction or removal of acne scars and preventing new acne breakouts from developing the face & neck. To consume broccoli, boil it until it’s tender, then serve with butter melted on top.
Leafy vegetables: Green leafy veggies are rich in antioxidants that help to reduce the appearance of pimples on the forehead. It is beneficial for those people who have oily skin prone to acne breakouts.
Nongreen vegetables: Nongreen veggies like carrots, tomatoes, etc., are also good for your health but not as effective as green leafy derived vegs. However, they help detoxify the body, releasing harmful toxins through urine & stool, thus reducing the occurrence of new acne breakouts over face & neck areas.
Spinach: It contains many antioxidants that help reduce acne problems by removing harmful free radicals from the blood. It also contains vitamins A, C & E, which results in better collagen production, leading to the removal of acne scars on the face or neck area. To consume spinach, boil it, then mix with cooked rice & onion slices, cucumber. Once mixed, serve immediately.
Protein-rich food items: Consumption of protein-rich food items helps our body prevent the development of new pimples over skin surface area by reducing excess sebum produced over skin surface area due to consumption of Sugar products which are known to increase the rate at which skin cells reproduce or shed off naturally through a process called glycogenesis. These food items help improve the condition by reducing the chance of breakouts on the face or neck area.
Some good sources of protein include:
Lean meat: Consumption of lean meat in daily diet helps reduce acne breakouts. It helps our body detoxify the blood and thus releases harmful toxins through urine & stool, which reduces chances of pimples over the face or neck area. Red meat like beef is a rich source of iron that helps increase the level of hemoglobin that results in better blood circulation over skin-enhancing removal of dead cells present over skin surface leading to removal/reduction in appearance majorly stubborn blackheads, whiteheads & cystic acne. It also helps prevent new breakouts from developing on face or neck areas.
Fruits rich in vitamin C: Vitamin C-containing fruits can help you prevent getting severe acne problems by increasing collagen production rate over the skin surface, resulting in the reduction of scars caused due to frequent acne breakouts. Also, it helps to prevent new acne breakouts from developing on face or neck areas by detoxifying the body and increasing the collagen production rate over the skin surface.
Probiotics: Probiotics containing yogurt helps to reduce acne problems by preventing the production of new sebum over skin surface area due to consumption of sugar products. It can also help prevent breakouts on face & neck areas by reducing the chances of dead cells shedding off on these areas, leading to more buildup or accumulation of dead skin cells, which results in oily appearance and development of multiple pimples, acne on the face or neck.
Water: Consumption of water can help our body release harmful toxins through urine & stool, thus helping it prevent the appearance of new pimples over face & neck areas. It also improves the blood circulation throughout our body resulting in better collagen production over skin surface area, thus reducing occurrence/reoccurrence rates of blackheads, whiteheads & cystic pimple breakouts.
Organic honey: Honey is known to reduce the chances of dead cells shedding off, making up free oily facial skin/neck. It also increases the rate at which new skin cells are produced over skin surface area, thus reducing reoccurrence/ occurrence rates of stubborn acne breakout problems on the face or neck after consuming other food items mentioned above.
Cheese: Consumption of cheese helps increase collagen production rate over skin surface area, thus reducing appearance rates of acne scars. It also reduces chances of dead cells shedding off on the face & neck, resulting in better blood circulation throughout our body which enhances removal or breakouts that develop on face or neck areas. Cheese is a rich source of vitamin B12, calcium, potassium, and protein. It is a good treatment for skin problems like acne breakout by removing excess sebum from the skin surface area.
All of these food mentioned above items are rich in vitamins, minerals & enzymes that act as antioxidants, thus preventing chances of dead cells shedding off over skin surface, causing overtime accumulation of dead cells leading to improvement in blood circulation rate enhancing the production of collagen, which results in reduction/ disappearance rates of blackheads, whiteheads & cystic acne breakouts.
These food items also work on our body by detoxifying it, thus reducing chances of new pimples breakouts over face or neck areas with constant intake due to reduced excess toxins present in our bloodstream. Even if you have a good diet and do not see any significant changes in your pimples even after 2-3 weeks, you should visit a homeopathy doctor or skin doctor because it could be that you are suffering from another problem causing acne. In such cases, homeopathy doctors prescribe homeopathic treatment for acne that works on the hormonal level and treats all nonbacterial causes of acne breakouts. For more information, you can book an appointment through OHO Homeopathy!