Share This Article
Acne is the bane of many people’s existence. For some, it starts during puberty and continues to plague them well into adulthood. For others, acne only shows up in their 30s or 40s â€” but for most people who break out regularly, it comes as an unwelcome surprise after they thought they were done with it. No matter how old you are, acne is a pain literally (it hurts!) and emotionally. We talked to some dermatologists about effective ways to treat acne, including over-the-counter solutions that can help clear up your skin without potentially harmful prescription medications.
But first things first: what is acne?
According to dermatologists, “acne is an inflammatory skin condition that manifests as red bumps or whiteheads on the face and neck, shoulders, chest, and back.” It’s caused by hormonal changes when you go through puberty (thus why it usually first strikes during adolescence; for some people, it continues into adulthood) and how your body processes sebum, an oily substance released by your skin. When a pore gets clogged with sebum, bacteria can grow inside it and cause inflammation, resulting in a red bump or Whiteheadwhich (an inflamed part of the pore covered by a thin layer of skin).
The best way to get rid of acne is to treat the root cause, so dermatologists recommend improving your skincare routine if you’re breaking out. Several factors may be contributing to an individual’s acne.
What causes Acne:
- Hormonal changes during puberty cause an increase in male sex hormones called androgens, which lead to the production of excess sebum that clogs pores.
- A person’s diet may contribute to acne; foods high in sugar or carbohydrates foster bacterial growth, a primary cause of inflammation.
- Medications like antibiotics can cause breakouts.
- Heredity also plays a role in the development of acne; if your parents or siblings had acne, you are more likely to have it too.
- Stress and fatigue can cause an increase in hormone levels, which may lead to breakouts.
How to get rid of Acne:
- To prevent breakouts, wash your face once or twice a day using warm water and a gentle soap without irritating fragrances or chemicals that dry out the skin.
- Use topical salicylic acid products to calm inflammation and unclog pores.
- Be sure to use a water-based moisturizer rather than an oily product to prevent clogged pores.
- Avoid picking or squeezing pimples; this can lead to scars, bacterial infection, and bacteria spreading to other areas of the skin.
- Wash your hands often during the day as bacteria can spread acne from hand to face.
- Keep stress under control as stress can make acne worse.
- Avoid cleaning your face with harsh chemicals or using too much hot water when bathing; both of these things will further irritate your skin and aggravate breakouts.
- Certain vitamins like vitamin A may cause dermatitis, so check with your doctor before taking any vitamin A supplement.
- Don’t wash your face too much, as it may irritate your skin and worsen breakouts.
- Apply ice or a cold compress to a pimple before going to bed; this will often help reduce swelling overnight and minimize the redness in the morning.
How A dermatologist diagnoses acne?
A dermatologist can diagnose acne based on its appearance and your medical history. There is no single test that can confirm a diagnosis of acne. A visual examination by your dermatologist is usually enough to diagnose it.
What are the home remedies for acne?
Due to the very instant nature of acne, it is initially hard to identify home remedies for acne. However, with persistence and patience, several methods can be used at a home level to stop or reduce the severity of pimples: The following five home remedies for acne can help clear up your skin and prevent breakouts.
1.) Honey â€“ Honey is one of the best home remedies for acne. It contains many nutrients like vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants that work as a natural antibacterial agent. Apply organic raw honey on pimples and leave it overnight to get effective results. Wash your face with lukewarm water in the morning to remove excess honey from your face.
2.) Vinegar â€“ mixed with lemon juice makes an excellent toner that helps to treat mild cases of acne naturally at home without any side effects. Excess oil from the skin decreases when lemon juice is applied. Drink lots of water to keep up your metabolism, stay hydrated, and flush out toxins naturally inside the body. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day.
3.) Lemon Juice â€“ cleanse pimples gently using lemon juice as a toner in combination with little extra virgin olive oil directly on the skin. You can also apply some crushed mint leaves and lemon juice as it helps reduce inflammation and redness of pimples.
4.) Make a paste from honey and cinnamon powder or ground almonds; apply this paste onto acne spots twice daily for two weeks to get the best results. This simple home remedy helps to heal pimple scars fast, fades dark spots, and prevents blackheads.
5.) Aloe vera juice contains healing properties that reduce inflammation, redness, add moisture to the skin and prevent further breakouts. Aloe vera gel is very soothing for pimples on the face, throat, or any other part of your skin. You can also use aloe gel in a daily moisturizer if you have dry acne-prone skin, as it helps to retain moisture in the skin by keeping it hydrated and glowing.
6.) Apple cider vinegar and honey mixture â€“ To get rid of acne, try pouring the apple cider vinegar and honey mixture into a spray bottle. Spray it on your face before going to bed every night. The next morning wash your face with warm water and apply moisturizer as required. This home remedy helps control excessive oil secretion by trapping dirt in pores while removing excess skin cells that lead to future breakouts.
7.) Tomato is also one of the best home remedies for acne. It contains antioxidants like vitamin A & C, which have anti-inflammatory properties, fighting off those annoying pimples (and preventing more spots from forming). It also makes an excellent topical toner; rub some tomato juice onto your fingertips, then press them lightly on your face for 30 seconds. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this twice a day to get rid of acne naturally and overnight.
8.) Witch Hazel â€“ Witch hazel is an astringent that helps tighten skin by reducing the excess oil on the skin’s surface, allowing it to heal faster. While witch hazel can’t prevent pimples from forming, it can help dry out those painful acne cysts and reduce redness after they do form. Many people have also successfully used witch hazel as a spot treatment to ward off zits before they even appear!
9.) Honey and lemon juice â€“ Mix 1 tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice, apply this paste to the affected area, and leave it until it dries. Wash your face with lukewarm water. It is an excellent home remedy for acne as it keeps oil production under control while killing off bacteria that trigger redness and inflammation.
10.) Turmeric has natural antiseptic properties, which makes this an excellent natural acne treatment. It also helps heal pimple scars by lightening dark spots caused by acne. Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder to 2 teaspoons milk or yogurt; blend well and apply on the affected area before going to bed at night, or wash your face with warm water in the morning if you prefer. Do this consistently for 3 to 4 weeks, and you will see an improvement in your skin.
11.) Tea tree oilâ€“ This essential oil is excellent at treating acne because of its antibacterial properties. Soak a cotton swab with tea tree oil, then apply it to the affected area. Wetting the swab before dabbing it on your face allows maximum absorption into the pores where pimples love to hide. Let it air-dry, or use a blow dryer on low heat to help speed up the process. Do this every night as part of your home remedy routine, and feel free to reapply as needed during the day!
12.) Oatmeal â€“ Mix 1 cup of oatmeal with two tablespoons of whole milk (or yogurt or buttermilk) to make a thick paste, then apply it on your face before going to bed at night. Leave it overnight and wash your face in the morning. It will remove dirt from skin pores and leave it soft and clear.
13.) Grapefruit seed extract â€“ GSE is another excellent natural remedy for acne because oil dissolves oil! Thus, this helps remove excess sebum that can lead to breakouts by breaking down extra fat on the skin’s surface. Apply a thin layer of GSE over affected areas several times per day; let dry, then rinse off with warm water. You can also use GSE as part of your daily facial regimen if you have oily skin.
14.) Mud â€“ If it is humid outside and you’ve got a few pimples on your face, this home remedy for acne works excellent! Just apply some mud on your face as a pack or paste (a little water will make the mud smoother so it can glide on easily) – let dry thoroughly before rinsing off with cool water. Do not use straight mud as it may irritate the top layer of skin and cause problems with even more breakouts. Make sure to buy a good-quality clay mask that does not contain any artificial fragrances, dyes, or preservatives added in. Use only natural products like clays/mud, which are readily available at any health store.
15.) Potato â€“ Boil potato slices in water until tender and rub on skin to treat acne. This home remedy for acne is quite effective when applied after poultice. A potato face mask can also be prepared by mashing a boiled potato into a paste then mix it with milk cream. Apply on face & wash off after an hour.
16.) Castor oil â€“ If you’ve got swollen pimples that keep getting worse, try applying castor oil! This works by constricting blood vessels, thus reduces inflammation while preventing further build-up under the skin’s surface, which ultimately helps to get rid of that angry red bump in just a few days!
17.) Milk: Milk contains lactic acid that gently exfoliates dead cells from your face making it soft & supple, thereby removing impurities from inside pores that cause pimples. Mix two teaspoons of milk with a few drops of lemon juice and apply it to the face for 15 minutes before rinsing off with cold water
18.) Aloe Vera: To get a glowing and youthful complexion, apply fresh aloe vera gel on the face every day. Aloe vera helps to lighten the blemishes or spots caused by acne. It cleanses and tightens pores, making them less visible on the skin’s surface, giving it a smooth texture, thus reducing pimples outbreaks. Do it twice or thrice weekly for clear skin, and your skin will be smoother, too!
19.) Baking soda â€“ Add equal parts water & baking soda, then apply to face like a scrub and let it sit for about 3 minutes, then rinse away with warm water. Do this nightly until you start to see results, or add a bit of baking soda to an all-natural cleanser you purchase at your local health food store.
20.) Cinnamon â€“ A daily application of cinnamon will help to control acne. Just mix one teaspoon of cinnamon powder with honey and apply it on the face for 10 minutes before washing off. Do this every day.
The above-mentioned home remedies are easy to follow and help you get rid of acne from your complexions with natural ingredients that work as antiseptics on the skin. The above home remedies will suffice for a single skin problem like whiteheads and blackheads. Do take care to maintain your skin, as it helps clear acne instantly and can be used as acne home remedies regularly.
- People who are constantly in the sun should use SPF cream and moisturizer regularly. Sunlight may cause skin irritation that leads to acne inflammation, so sunscreen is the best remedy to protect the skin from harmful UV Rays of sunlight. Before going out into the sunlight, always use sunscreen products containing a high range of SPF protection factors like 30 or more.
- Try consuming healthy food, drinking plenty of water (16-20 cups/day), and engaging yourself in some physical activity; this will help your body get rid of toxins and purify itself from inside.
- If all these fails, you can consult a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment. The above-mentioned home remedies are natural ways to get rid of acne. Still, not everyone may benefit from them for various reasons, like some people might have more sensitive skin. So, they cannot use certain ingredients, while some may be allergic or prone to side effects of herbs; that is why it’s always better to check with your physician before trying any new herbal remedy off the internet.
Homeopathic acne treatment:
Homeopathy is one of the natural and safer alternatives to fight against acne. It has been found that homeopathic medicines reduce the size of the pimples, dry up the pus in them, keep infection at bay, and promote healing faster. This can also help with mild scars that appear later after a few weeks or months when inflammation goes down.
Your homeopath doctor individually prescribes the remedies suggested for acne after taking a case history followed by clinical examination & observation. The Treatment is given along with constitutional Treatment like dietary advice, lifestyle changes, etc. It is medicine-specific but not mentioned here as it may vary from individual to individual based on their analysis and symptoms.
If you are suffering from acne, you can book an appointment through OHO Homeopathy to get an individualized homeopathic treatment plan from a well-qualified and experienced homeopathic doctor.