Share This Article
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that affects the lives of millions of people. It is a condition in which skin cells behave strangely, leading to red scaly patches on the skin’s surface. Psoriasis can affect any part of your body, including your scalp, elbows, or knees.
Several psoriasis treatments are there to cure this disease, but people are often disappointed after trying them out because they do not get the desired results. The best option here is to use home remedies for psoriasis as they help you cure this disease of its root cause by boosting your immunity levels naturally. Let us know the cause of psoriasis:
Causes of Psoriasis:
1)A genetic mutation has been identified in the autoimmune condition where the immune system starts acting abnormally and attacks healthy skin cells.
2)Psoriasis triggers have not been identified, but some experts say that factors like stress, weather changes, infections, certain drugs, and even smoking can make psoriasis worse. The risk of getting this disease is also higher if you have a family history of psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis (another autoimmune condition).
3)The area’s most frequently affected by psoriasis are your elbows, knees, and scalp because these parts of your body are more exposed to humidity and heat. If you do not get relief from topical treatments, there is a possibility that it may spread to other parts of your body, such as your nails and the lower back.
Types of Psoriasis:
There are different types of psoriasis, such as
- Plaque Psoriasis: The most common type of psoriasis appears as thick, red patches with a silvery-white build-up of dead skin cells on top.
- Guttate Psoriasis: This type of psoriasis occurs when mini sores develop and appear over your entire body, particularly in areas such as the torso, buttocks, and thighs.
- Inverse Psoriasis: It shows up in moist folds (skin creases) or under your arms and breastbone. This type of psoriasis also causes fluid-filled blisters, known as vesicles.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis: The rarest form of psoriasis is known for causing intense dryness across large parts of the body and redness and scaling.
How does psoriasis look like?
There are different types of psoriasis symptoms such as:
Red, scaly plaques that may look like eczema or dermatitis.
Thick patches or raised bumps that are often itchy and painful. Patches of red, cracked skin with silvery scales.
Fluid-filled bumps that crust over and bleed. Dry, cracked, red patches that are often painful. Itchy blisters filled with a watery liquid may form on the elbows or knees
How will you get to know you have psoriasis?
- Some symptoms can help you get to know about psoriasis-like:
- Itchy, dry red patches on your skin with silver-white scales. Itching and burning over the affected areas of the skin. The patches tend to flare up during cold weather or after an injury.
- White, silvery scales cover rough red skin patches, particularly in wet areas such as your elbows, knees, or scalp. Psoriatic nails that form pits and grooves. Dry and cracked fingertips are common signs too.
- As a person gets older, their likelihood of developing this condition increases because it is more prevalent in people aged between 15 to 35 years old than in any other age group.
What is the psoriasis treatment available?
- Topical Ointments: Corticosteroid ointments are often used to treat mild psoriasis. These ointments may be used along with other topical treatments in more severe cases.
- Oral Medications: For moderate or severe psoriasis, oral medication such as methotrexate, Soriatane (acitretin), Enbrel (etanercept), and Remicade (infliximab) might help reduce lesions and inflammation.
- Biologic Drugs: Biologics approved for psoriasis treatment include Amevive (alefacept), Raptiva (efalizumab), Otezla (apremilast), Stelara (ustekinumab).
- Phototherapy: Psoralen with ultraviolet A (PUVA) therapy may be effective in treating psoriasis.
Will psoriasis come back?
Yes, it is possible to get psoriasis more than once. If you have had an initial attack of psoriasis or if your condition comes back after treatment, there is a possibility that the symptoms will appear again in the future.
How can I avoid Psoriasis?
You can avoid Psoriasis by doing:
- Quit Smoking: Since smoking may worsen your symptoms and make them come back again and again. There are high chances of getting trigger by stress, too, so taking up smoking won’t help at all.
- -Take Regular Exercise: Try to stay fit and do regular exercise. This will help you strengthen your muscles and increase blood flow throughout your body which acts as a great way to improve immunity while lowering the chances of psoriasis.
- -Eat Healthy: Following a healthy diet plan can help you in getting rid of Psoriasis completely. As they say, ‘Prevention is always better than cure’ will also help you avoid falling prey to anything that might trigger your condition too early.
- -Control Stress: Living a relaxed and stress-free life is difficult since we always remain busy with our work. Getting rid of Psoriasis won’t be possible if you still cannot get out of your routine. So, try to manage your time well and learn how to relax whenever you get some spare time in hand.
- -Visit The Doctor Regularly: Visit the dermatologist for proper medication. It will also help avoid any complications during treatment, which would have been difficult to treat later on. This also ensures that Psoriasis won’t reoccur again, which means you can enjoy a trouble-free life ahead.
What if psoriasis treatment does not work?
If your treatment regimen does not show any positive results, or if you are not comfortable with the medications you are given to use, then you can explore other home remedies for psoriasis.
What are the best home remedies to cure Psoriasis?
You can find out what works best for you. But here we have listed some of the most effective home remedies that work like a charm in curing Psoriasis:
- Aloe Vera – You can extract Aloe Vera gel from an aloe vera leaf and apply it to your affected areas two times a day. It will help hydrate the skin and reduce itching along with lightening patches of dark skin.
- Turmeric:Apply turmeric paste directly on your scars made due to Psoriasis or mix it with sandalwood paste and apply this mixture on the scars for about 10 minutes. It will help reduce scaring significantly over time.
- Oatmeal bath: Add some oatmeal powder and Epsom salt in lukewarm water, then soak yourself in it for 15 minutes every day. It is one of the best home remedies that can help you treat Psoriasis effectively.
- Have a healthy diet plan: Include vitamin C-rich foods such as broccoli, bell peppers, oranges, etc., along with probiotics like yogurt, which are known to help boost your immunity levels while treating Psoriasis faster than usual.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin E, which help in nourishing the skin from deep within. You can use it as a natural moisturizer on your skin which will help reduce Psoriasis symptoms over time.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Add two cups of apple cider vinegar to lukewarm water and apply this solution to your affected areas, then take a warm bath after 15 minutes. It is one of the most effective home remedies for Psoriasis that you should try out right away.
- Ginger: Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe swollen, red, inflamed patches on the surface of your skin due to Psoriasis by increasing blood circulation in tiny capillaries beneath the lesions.
- Vitamin B12 – Consume foods rich in Vitamin B12, such as eggs, salmon, crab, beef, etc. This will help improve your immune system, which is responsible for fighting the bacteria that trigger Psoriasis.
- Baking soda: Dab some baking soda on the skin affected by psoriasis or mix it with water and apply it directly over the affected areas that are caused due to an infection. This will reduce redness, swelling, and pain associated with Psoriasis.
- Green Tea: Prepare a green tea skin mask by mixing two teaspoons of green tea with just enough apple cider vinegar to form a paste and apply this mixture over the affected areas. This can also be used over your scalp as well to treat Psoriasis effectively.
- Almond Oil: Mix almond oil with lavender oil, then warm up the mixture by gently rubbing it between your palms before applying it to your body. You can use this as an effective home remedy for Psoriasis every day before going to bed for best results.
- Cayenne pepper: Cayenne Pepper is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Consuming two teaspoons of cayenne pepper powder mixed in warm water every morning along with a glass of buttermilk, can be one of the best home remedies to cure Psoriasis effectively.
- Tea tree oil: Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with water and dab it on the affected areas using cotton balls. This is one effective home remedy that will help you get rid of Psoriasis.
- Lemon juice: Apply lemon juice directly to your scalp, then cover your head with a shower cap for half an hour before taking a warm bath. Doing this every day can give you relief from Psoriasis symptoms, at least to some extent.
- Mint: Mint has anti-inflammatory and cooling properties that help in reducing redness, inflammation, and pain caused by Psoriasis. You can either drink mint juice or apply it directly to the affected areas of your skin.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin E, which help in nourishing the skin from deep within. You can use olive oil as a natural moisturizer for your skin at least once every day before going to bed to reduce Psoriasis symptoms faster than usual.
- Castor oil: Using castor oil on the skin is one of the best home remedies for Psoriasis since it contains antioxidants and antibacterial properties that help treat Psoriasis symptoms fast. Applying castor oil regularly can give you relief from dry, scaly, and itchy patches within a few weeks.
- Clay mask: Prepare a clay mask by mixing some bentonite clay with water and apply it all over your body before taking a warm bath. This mask is very effective in reducing Psoriasis symptoms like inflammation, itching as well as redness.
- Epsom Salt: Epsom salt has skin-soothing properties that help relieve Psoriasis symptoms like itching and irritation by reducing redness, swelling, and itchiness. You can add Epsom salt to your bath water or use it as a body scrub to get relief from Psoriasis symptoms fast.
- Gum Arabic: Mix some gum Arabic with water and apply it all over the skin before the shower. This is one of the best home remedies for Psoriasis that you should try out.
- Rosemary oil: Rosemary essential oil contains various medicinal properties like antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties that prove highly beneficial in treating Psoriasis symptoms at home. You can apply rosemary oil directly over your scalp before taking a shower or add ten drops of this essential oil into your bathwater to quickly reduce inflammation caused by Psoriasis.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood has skin-soothing properties along with its antiseptic and healing effect, which makes it one of the best home remedies for Psoriasis. You can mix some sandalwood paste with water and apply this mixture over your affected areas before taking a bath for quick relief from Psoriasis symptoms like redness and irritation.
- Rosewater: Rosewater has antibacterial properties that prove to be beneficial in treating Psoriasis symptoms fast. This is one of the best home remedies for Psoriasis since rose water can soothe irritated, inflamed, and red skin caused due to Psoriasis and reduced inflammation while reducing pain very quickly.
Homeopathic Treatment for psoriasis:
Homeopathic treatment for Psoriasis is also an effective way to relieve yourself from the pain caused due to this disease. Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It boosts the immune system and helps in curing the root cause of the problem. Homeopathic remedies are safe and provide relief from symptoms as well as health problems.
The remedies mentioned above are tested by many people and proved to be highly beneficial for Psoriasis symptoms. You can try out any of these home remedies for Psoriasis that best suits you to get relief from skin problems caused due to Psoriasis at home. Before you start your treatment with alternative medicine and self-help techniques such as psoriasis home remedy, please consult a skin doctor or dermatologist near you! Home remedies for psoriasis do not replace conventional medical treatments, but they can support it. Please inform your doctor about all the medicines and supplements you’re taking already. You can book an appointment from OHO Homeopathy today and get detailed information about psoriasis treatment.