Share This Article
Psoriasis is a common skin disease that occurs in almost half of the population. It affects people of all ages and both genders equally. The severity of symptoms varies among patients and cannot be predicted. There are many treatments available that can control the symptoms and reduce complications of this chronic condition. Psoriasis is most commonly found on the scalp, knees, elbows, and lower back. Seeking professional help from a dermatologist is the best way to treat Psoriasis.
Why do you need a skin doctor or dermatologist for psoriasis treatment?
A dermatologist can give you advice on medications and other treatment options that are available for this condition.
- Any skin doctor or dermatologist aims to keep the symptoms in control without causing side effects.
- Dermatologists know different kinds of Medication and products available, and they will recommend which is most suitable according to your problem.
- Also, suppose there would be more than one person who has Psoriasis in your family. In that case, it is wise to consult a Dermatologist as it might indicate genetic factors triggering the disease.
- A Dermatologist will also be able to tell you what kind of treatment is more suitable for you.
- Do not try to self-medicate if you have Psoriasis, as it might worsen the symptoms and lead to other complications such as cirrhosis or arthritis. So, instead of trying over-the-counter medications, contact a dermatologist who will recommend the best Medication that suits your condition.
What should you expect from skin doctors or dermatologists?Â
A dermatologist will study your skin condition, and they may ask follow-up questions about drug history, medical conditions affecting your health, family members’ history with Psoriasis, etc. Based on the information provided by the patient and their observations, a dermatologist will recommend the best treatment for you.
In approximately 50 percent of patients, there is a family history of Psoriasis. If you have Psoriasis and your relatives also have it, you are more likely to develop it again and so consult a skin doctor immediately if any symptoms appear.
What kind of questions should you ask while consulting with Dermatologists?Â
Before starting any treatment:
- Talk to your dermatologist about your expectations from them.
- Ask them how the condition can be improved or cured permanently, whether Medication requires lifelong usage, etc.
- Tell them what medications or diets you are already using for the treatment. This will help your derm in understanding the possible complications and safety issues.
It is also a good idea to discuss symptoms of Psoriasis with your care provider as it will help in improving the quality of life. You can ask about treatments available for this condition and how they work, side effects, if any (Some medicines may have some unpleasant side effects), treatment duration, etc.
It is always better to take advice from a dermatologist who will recommend Medication that builds a shield around affected areas, protecting them from infections and other complications.
How to find the best skin doctor for Psoriasis?
It is almost impossible to detect Psoriasis at the initial stage, and so you should consult a dermatologist immediately if you have any of its symptoms. It would help if you did your research correctly before deciding on the best skin doctor for Psoriasis treatment.
Skin doctors or Dermatologists are medical professionals who specialize in treating skin-related problems such as Psoriasis, acne, etc.; when consulting with a skin doctor about Psoriasis treatment, make sure that they are qualified and has ample experience in this field.
Most patients prefer visiting their family physician first when they experience some form of complication due to Psoriasis such as redness, itching, flaking, inflammation, etc. However, most physicians are not experienced enough to diagnose Psoriasis as it is a complex disease and can be misdiagnosed. It is always better to consult with a dermatologist before seeking medical help from your primary care physician.
Not all skin doctors provide comprehensive treatment for Psoriasis, so it might be advisable if you visit a reputed Dermatology Clinic in your neighbourhood. These clinics have a sufficient number of doctors to handle psoriasis patients, and they are also equipped with advanced equipment. Also, the clinical staff will guide you properly regarding various treatments available that can be used for multiple effects like itching, redness, flaking, etc.,
There are two types of Psoriasis â€“ mild and severe cases. Mild Psoriasis occurs in few areas of the body, while the whole body is affected in some cases. If the condition is painful, it may worsen by itself or with secondary infections and other complications. While choosing a skin doctor for Psoriasis Treatment, make sure that they can handle both mild and severe cases of Psoriasis efficiently. All doctors are not competent enough to handle severe cases of Psoriasis; therefore, you should be careful while picking up a reputed Dermatology clinic near your location as they will have skilled physicians available throughout the day.
Skin Doctor’s recommendations regarding medications, diet, hygiene, etc., should be taken seriously as the expert advice from him will help make life easier for you and reduce chances of infection due to Psoriasis. If any changes are needed to be made in your Medication, diet, or lifestyle, you must ensure that the dermatologist is willing to meet your requirements.
Suppose you feel that the skin doctor is not providing proper guidance and other instructions regarding Psoriasis. In that case, it might be a good idea if you find another Dermatology clinic nearby which can offer a better skin doctor for Psoriasis treatment. Remember, when it comes to health, no compromise should be made.
What a skin doctor or dermatologist can suggest for the treatment of Psoriasis?
Today, several therapies are available for treating this disease, but most patients still try out their ways, which may have some side effects. Psoriasis treatment is based on the diagnosis. The skin doctor will diagnose the patient and may recommend one of the following therapies for making Psoriasis treatment easy:
- Oral Medication: – Oral medications are a very effective treatment for Psoriasis. The most common ones include Methotrexate, Azathioprine, Cyclosporine, and Retinoids. These drugs help in reducing inflammation of the skin, which is a significant cause of psoriatic eruption. Most oral medications take up some time before showing results, so if you want quick relief, then it might be advisable that you consult with a dermatologist who can recommend the usage of other topical treatments as well.
- Topical Therapy: – Topical therapies like Topical steroids (such as Clobetasol), vitamin D analogs (such as calcipotriene), Vitamin A derivative, etc., are also used for treating mild cases of Psoriasis. These medications can be applied directly to the skin where psoriatic lesions are present. Be sure to follow instructions and avoid prolonged usage of these drugs; otherwise, they may cause some harmful side effects like skin thinning, stretch marks, or even infections in the case of non-sterile application.
- Topical steroidsÂ can show results within a month. However, it is advisable not to use them as long-term treatments because they have numerous side effects such as thinning of the skin or stretch marks which could lead to a secondary infection that can make your condition worse than before.
- Dermatologists also recommendÂ dietary changesÂ as they would suggest you follow a healthy diet rich in zinc and omega-three fatty acids to promote healing. Moisturizers can treat severe itching symptoms of Psoriasis, while ultraviolet light (UV) therapy can cure mild cases.
- A skin doctor or dermatologist can also recommendÂ light Therapy:Â It is believed that the UVB rays can help to reduce inflammation and redness in the skin. A fluorescent lightbox or other devices emitting narrowband ultraviolet light are used to treat Psoriasis with this kind of Therapy. The treatment requires daily sessions for several weeks before you can see visible results.
Your skin doctor can ask you to follow a particular lifestyle which includes taking proper sleep, eating healthy foods, etc.; if the patient hears from the skin doctor that they need to reduce stress levels, then they must do so as it has been found that if you keep yourself stressed out, then your immune system also gets affected and becomes less efficient in fighting diseases such as Psoriasis.
Skin doctors also advise exercising regularly so that stress levels can be reduced naturally without any side effects or with any medications. You should make sure not to use cortisone creams all over the body; instead, you should apply them only on those areas where necessary. You need to protect your skin from harmful UV rays as they can cause Psoriasis to spread to other parts of the body.
If you have a family history or genetic link with Psoriasis, then make sure that you inform your doctor about this. Also, if you are suffering from an immune disorder or ailment related to it, you should mention it to your skin doctor. Your conditions and all relevant details must be revealed before starting the treatment for Psoriasis so that Medication may be adjusted according to your current health status.
How often shall I visit a skin doctor for Psoriasis?
Visit a skin doctor once every two weeks to follow up on your prescription and check for any infections that could have arisen. If you are prescribed medications for topical treatments, then apply them regularly to ensure safety from side effects.
It is especially true of steroids, which can thin the skin if misused.Â You may feel stressed out about going to a skin doctor often, but this is the best way to prevent infections or other complications. Suppose you think that the skin doctor is not providing proper guidance and further instructions regarding Psoriasis. In that case, it might be a good idea if you find another Dermatology clinic near you.
How much a skin doctor or dermatologist will charge for psoriasis treatment?
The cost of treatment depends on the severity of the disease. The treatment could be costly and depend upon the type of medicines prescribed by your skin doctor or dermatologist and other factors like an area that needs to be covered in a single sitting.
Creams, ointments, lotions, etc., are usually inexpensive remedies, while laser therapy may be expensive if used for treating large areas of the body such as hands, legs, or back. If you find the cost too high, you can ask your doctor about other alternatives for psoriasis treatment, which can prove cheaper.
Homeopathic treatment for Psoriasis:Â
If you have tried several medications and found no improvement, it may be time to try out homeopathy for Psoriasis.
Homeopathic treatment is a form of medicine administered based on individual symptoms of a patient and can help reduce itching and inflammation while also promoting the body’s healing abilities.
Many homeopathic remedies are available for Psoriasis, including Sulphur, Thuja, CalcareaCarbonica, China Officinalis, Rhus Toxicodendron, Kalmia Latifolia (Buchu), and Morus Alba(White Mulberry). Each one of these herbs has been used individually in treating skin conditions. But the efficacy of these herbs is best when they are used in combination to provide relief from symptoms of Psoriasis. You can visit Dr Batras clinic for detailed information regarding homeopathic medicines.
Homeopathic treatment is based on individualization. Homeopathy doctors at Dr Batras give treatment according to the patient’s specific symptoms. It is easier to match some medications with all kinds of patients, but certain combinations appear best for Psoriasis.
Homeopathy can be used in conjunction with other treatments you may have your doctor prescribed for your Psoriasis. It enhances the body’s ability to heal itself and reduces itching and inflammation.
Homeopathic treatment for Psoriasis stimulates the immune system, which helps reduce inflammation, blisters, scaling, and redness of the skin. Homeopathy for Psoriasis is free from any adverse effects. But if you are going to start homeopathic treatment, then you require the guidance of a skilled homeopathic doctor.
Many homeopathic doctors in the market promise relief from symptoms of Psoriasis. But if you are looking for a sure shot treatment without any side effects, consult a qualified homeopath. You can visit our website OHO Homeopathy for more information on homeopathic medicine and find the best skin doctors for Psoriasis.