Share This Article
Ghee or clarified butter has many health benefits. One of the best parts about ghee is enjoying all these benefits without worrying about adverse side effects. In India, ghee is used in religious rituals and provides immense advantages. Ghee is an excellent moisturizer for dry skin. It penetrates deep into the skin’s tissues, thus nourishing it from within. Ghee is rich in essential fatty acids required to function the sebaceous glands on our skin properly. The secretion of oil by these glands helps protect our skin against infections due to bacterial or fungal growth. When these glands secrete enough fat, it gives a shiny look to our face and prevents dandruff problems.
What is ghee?
Ghee is butter that has been boiled to remove the milk solids and water from it. Removing the moisture and milk solids makes ghee easily digestible because lactose (milk sugar) and casein (protein) are removed during this process. Ghee is rich in Vitamin-A, Vitamin-E, and CLA (conjugated linoleic acid). CLA has fat-burning benefits. Since ghee does not have protein and carbohydrates, it can also be consumed by people who follow a low-carb diet. People who suffer from lactose intolerance can consume ghee without getting diarrhea or other side effects. Ghee is used as a home remedy for skin diseases such as psoriasis, eczema, and boils. It controls excessive thirst and urination associated with diabetes mellitus. Daily use of ghee promotes good vision by preventing night blindness.
Here are the 11 benefits of ghee for the skin:
1) Gives glowing skin
The saturated fats present in ghee help retain the elasticity of your skin cells to make them firmer and reduce wrinkles. Vitamin A, which is found abundantly in this golden liquid, stimulates collagen production, making your skin healthy and supple. The anti-inflammatory properties help fight acne and blemishes, leaving you with a radiant complexion.
2) Treats dryness
Ghee is an excellent moisturizer that helps replenish lipids within the skin cells. It nourishes your dry skin and rough cells to provide natural moisture. Regular application gives you soft, smooth, supple, and clear skin.
3) Treats acne
The antimicrobial properties in ghee help control acne-causing bacteria, while its antioxidant content rejuvenates your skin by removing scars. The presence of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), known for its anti-inflammatory property, helps reduce redness on the face caused due to breakouts or pimples. This can be used externally and heal rashes on the body.
4) Prevents dark circles
Ghee’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help fight against the free radicals that cause dark circles. It rejuvenates your skin by removing dead cells and treating dryness and peeling. Regular application of ghee will help improve microcirculation around your eyes, leading to lesser darkening of under-eye circles.
5) Treats rough skin
Ghee contains fat-soluble vitamins such as Vitamin A and E, which prevent dryness of the skin, while its antimicrobial properties remove the bacterial infection, causing itchiness on the skin. Massage with a pinch of salt mixed with ghee for a few minutes daily helps eliminate chapped lips, cracked heels, elbows, or other such ailments due to dryness.
6) Prevents premature aging
The antioxidants present in ghee like butyric acid, Vitamin A, and E protect cells from free radical damage, a leading cause of aging. The anti-inflammatory properties which help fight acne also protect against wrinkles and fine lines.
7) Treats psoriasis and eczema
Ghee helps soothe inflammation in the skin, promoting faster healing of psoriasis and eczema lesions. Applying topically prevents dryness and flaking of skin associated with these conditions. Mixing ghee with neem leaves or turmeric powder makes your daily dose beneficial for such ailments.
8) Prevents boils
Boils are painful lumps that occur due to infections caused by bacteria on the hair follicles the skin’s surface. Ghee’s anti-inflammatory properties help reduce swelling and burning sensation immediately.
9) Treats rashes
The antimicrobial properties of ghee make it soothing for rashes on the body caused by bacterial or fungal infections. The Vitamin A content helps remove scars left behind due to these infections. It also treats skin itching, redness, irritation, inflammation, dryness, etc., associated with rashes.
10) Brightens the skin
Ghee massage is an excellent way to improve your skin tone. It makes your skin healthy by increasing blood circulation, giving it a natural glow. Massage for 10 minutes daily to make your face look younger and more radiant.
11) Soothes the skin
Ghee is a perfect way to soothe your skin. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce redness and rashes in the skin caused by razor burns. Regular application helps relieve irritation, pain, burning sensation, redness, etc.
How to use ghee for skin?
- Mix half a cup of cooled ghee with two tablespoons of besan (gram flour), one tablespoon each of turmeric powder and sandalwood powder, 10-15 drops of rose water, and one teaspoon of neem oil. Massage this mixture all over your body to maintain healthy skin.
- Take half a cup of warm milk or water in a bowl. Add three teaspoons each of honey and ghee to this solution. Stir well till the love dissolves completely before drinking it for glowing skin!
- Gently massage your face with pure ghee every day at night before going to bed for brighter, younger-looking skin. Ghee can be mixed with other natural ingredients like turmeric, cinnamon bark powder, chamomile oil, etc., for different skin types and ailments.
- Eat ghee in any form or add a teaspoon to your meals daily. It will help maintain healthy skin from the inside too!
What are the other possible uses of ghee?
Ghee contains Vitamin A, which is good for eyesight and reduces wrinkles around the eyes, while Vitamin E helps fight against acne or pimples, making your skin soft and supple. It can be used to remove makeup thoroughly, nourishing your face in the process. Massage two tablespoons each of pure ghee and coconut oil on damp hair after shampooing your hair to prevent split ends, leaving your hair frizz-free!
Which type of ghee is best for skin?
You can use clarified butter or pure ghee is free from all impurities and is also called “desi” ghee, which has a rich nutty fragrance and tastes great on bread like roti, paratha, etc. It looks clear when cool but turns translucent while heated. It can last up to two months once opened if kept in an airtight container at room temperature without getting spoilt. It contains almost 99% fat with very low moisture content. So, it will not trigger your acne like regular butter does due to the high amount of saturated fatty acids present in the oil! This type of ghee made from good quality milk gives you maximum benefits for your skin!
How can you make ghee at home?
It is simple. Heat full-fat milk in a thick-bottomed pan on low flame, occasionally stirring to prevent burning the milk at the bottom of the pan. Once it starts boiling, please turn off the stove and let it cool for some time. Skim off the upper layer, leaving behind all nutrients and lower lactose layers in water which you can use for making soups or gravy. Now sieve this mixture by using a muslin cloth to thoroughly remove excess water from the oil before storing it in an airtight container or bottle like any other cold-pressed oil like olive oil or coconut oil. You will get pure ghee once cooled! You can try out this heavenly butter before summer arrives that gives you beautiful skin without harming your health.
For what skin problems can you use ghee?
You can use ghee to treat several skin problems like:
Ghee makes an excellent spot treatment for acne and pimples. Massage gently with clean fingers over the affected area of your skin before going to bed. Rinse it off thoroughly the following day with normal water.
- Dry Skin:
Ghee can be used as a body moisturizing cream and helps retain moisture in dry and flaky skin on the face, elbows, hands, knees, etc., which gets cracked due to exposure to harsh sun rays or cold winter winds winters causing discomfort and itching. Apply it topically as a body cream or facial moisturizer 2-3 times daily till you get results!
- Dark circles around eyes:
The antioxidants in ghee fight free radicals that cause dark patches under the eyes due to stress, fatigue, or lack of sleep. Apply full-fat ghee gently on dry and clean skin around the eyes before going to bed every night for a month.
- Dry hair:
Dry hair can cause split ends and breakage, making them look dull and damaged! The fatty acids present in ghee nourish your hair deeply and make it soft, thus preventing such issues and dandruff. Massage two tablespoons of coconut oil mixed with one tablespoon each of pure ghee and amla powder onto your scalp at night before shampooing the following day for revitalized, smooth, shiny tresses!
- Wrinkles & fine lines:
Ghee contains Vitamin K, which is beneficial for cell regeneration in your skin, giving you lovely glowing skin. It helps smoothen out wrinkles and fine lines due to its anti-aging properties! Massage full-fat ghee over your face before going to bed every night to naturally improve the texture, tone, and elasticity of your skin!
Ghee is excellent for treating minor burns caused by exposure to sun rays or fire. Apply pure ghee on the burnt area immediately for relief from pain & fast recovery!
- Stretch Marks:
Stretch marks can leave our skins looking dull and lifeless, making us look older than usual even though we have not crossed the age of 30 yet! Ghee works wonder in preventing stretchmarks by nourishing the skin, which is an excellent source of Vitamin A, E & K. Massage gently daily with warm ghee on the tummy before going to bed for a beautiful stretchmark-free belly!
Ghee works as a lip balm and can be applied before going out in harsh weather conditions to prevent chapped lips caused by sun rays or cold winds during winters! Mix coconut oil with pure ghee and apply it topically on your lips 2-3 times daily to prevent them from drying further!
- Cracked heels:
Cracked heels are a common problem due to lack of moisture, weakening of feet muscles, and dryness resulting in pain while walking in shoes, which may lead to infections in the future. Massage your feet with full-fat ghee every night before going to bed for a week!
As ghee has a lot of benefits for our skin and hair, we should include it in our daily diet! At times your skin problems also need medical attention. In that case, you can consider homeopathic treatment for your skin problems, as ghee homeopathic treatment is also one of the natural ways of treating your skin ailments.
Benefits of using homeopathic skin treatment:
Homeopathic treatment for skin is considered one of the most effective ways of dealing with skin ailments. One of the main benefits of homeopathic medicine is that this type of skin treatment is not only limited to treating your current skin problem but can also help prevent future skin problems.
- Like herbal medicine, homeopathic medicine has some highly beneficial ingredients prepared using natural sources like plants and minerals, etc. The medications trained in homeopathy do not contain any harsh chemicals or cause addiction like other conventional medicines; therefore, you can use them regularly without worrying about their side effects.
- Homeopathic remedies are prepared using natural ingredients that work as a trigger for your immune system and help treat skin problems from the root.
- Homeopathic treatment for skin disorders helps in improving the overall health of your skin. Besides this, homeopathic remedies are prepared using natural ingredients that do not cause any side effects when used over a long period.
- Homeopathy is considered one of the most effective ways to treat various skin ailments like eczema, psoriasis, urticaria, acne, etc., by offering relief from these problems without causing any side effects to your skin or body.
- Homeopathy doctors provide tailor-made solutions for your skin problems and strictly follow the intake for every patient. Homeopathy treatment not only deals with your current skin problem but also prevents future ailments like eczema, psoriasis, etc. You can book an appointment through OHO Homeopathy with a registered homeopathy doctor and get a detailed report of your skin disorder.
- Homeopathy doctors through OHO Homeopathy focus on providing our customers with natural and certified homeopathic remedies to treat their health conditions effectively. If you are looking for the best-certified homeopathy doctor, contact us immediately or book an online appointment by filling up the form mentioned on this page!