Share This Article
As teenagers, we all think about our acne and how bad it can get. Most people will reach a point where they say: ” I’ll do anything to get rid of this” but, what if that included changing your lifestyle? Many of you may not know, but food plays a huge part in clearing up your skin and making it feel fresh, clean, and oil-free. So here is a list of foods that cause acne:
- Fried Foods
Fried foods are packed with fat and oil, making your skin extremely greasy. It can clog pores and lead to acne.
- Dairy Products
Dairy products like milk, cheese, ice cream, etc., can cause acne. Sometimes make us feel bloated; they aren’t healthy for our body either! If you want to avoid pimples, then stay away from dairy.
- White Flour/White Sugar
Although 1 or 2 cookies won’t hurt anyone, it’s the way you eat them that gets most people in trouble. Once you start eating a few, the next thing you know, you’ve eaten 5. It’s best not to have anything with white flour at all because once you eat it one time, your body remembers it. So, when you eat another cookie or something else with white flour in it, your body reacts by producing more oil to try and break the food down.
- Junk Food
Junk food can cause acne because of all the processed ingredients, preservatives, flavors, etc. These ingredients could quickly turn into pimples!
- Spicy Foods
Spicy foods are great, but not if you’re trying to get rid of acne! People love spicy food for its flavor, but did you know that eating them could irritate your stomach? And let’s say that an irritated stomach doesn’t help control acne at all.
Chocolate has two different sets of problems associated with it; one is for people with acne. Dark chocolate will make your skin look great, but milk chocolate is the one that causes breakouts. Besides that, there is caffeine in chocolate which can be bad for your body because it raises blood pressure and heart rate. It stresses out your body, leaving you open to acne problems.
Eggs are incredibly fatty, meaning they’re packed with the oil! So if you have an egg or two on a sandwich every morning, you could easily be producing more oil on your face, which would lead to breakouts.
- High-Sugar Foods
High sugar foods are very bad for your skin which means avoiding them is important if you want clear skin! High sugar foods are so bad because they’re packed with sugars that cause pimples.
- White Bread
White bread can also be a problem to your skin if you eat it whenever you get the chance! It has a simple sugar called high-fructose corn syrup, which leaves your body producing more oil.
- Processed Meats
Processed meats like hotdogs, sausages, bologna, etc., contain many salts and nitrates, which can lead to breakouts! These ingredients are usually added to preserve the meat, so it could be long before you eat them.
We all love chips because of how tasty they are, but they have high salt levels and high sugar levels as well! Crisps aren’t much trust either because of the high amount of oils found in them.
Alcohol is terrible for your skin no matter what type it is; beer, wine, whiskey, etc. Drinking these on special occasions won’t hurt, but if you drink them frequently, your skin will pay for it.
Although chocolate has caffeine, too much caffeine isn’t good for anyone’s body! If you want clear skin, limit the amount of caffeine you consume; this includes coffee, soda, energy drinks, etc. The more caffeine you drink, the more stress is placed on your body, opening it to acne problems.
- Carbonated Drinks
Carbonated drinks like soda, Coke, Pepsi, etc., can cause acne because of how acidic they are. Also, certain chemicals in them, such as caffeine or sugars, could create pimples too!
- White Potatoes
White potatoes are very bad for your skin because they have a ton of oils in them! If you want clear skin, eating white potatoes frequently is a big no-no.
How are food items responsible for causing acne?
There isn’t any single food item responsible for causing acne. What your skin does is it tries to eliminate what you have taken in by increasing the oil production and sending a message to your brain for elimination.
In this process of elimination, some extra-ordinary amount of oil is produced along with dead skin cells which form comedones, i.e., whiteheads & blackheads, pimples, etc. This excess production can harm your skin because all these wastes accumulate on the skin’s surface. So it’s very important not to put more stress on your system by having foods like junk food, chocolates, caffeine, etc.. daily.
How to avoid acne from food items?
The acne problem can only be solved by following a proper healthy diet. The key is to use fresh fruits and vegetables. Experts also suggested using lemon juice and sugarcane juice as they do not harm your body like other added sugars. You should also drink plenty of water and stay away from caffeine as it adds more stress to your system. Drinking milk regularly helps maintain the PH level of your skin, which protects you from dirt, dust & pollution that causes acne problems. By avoiding such foods, you need not worry about having pimples or blemishes on your face because there will be no excess production of oil and dead skin cells which otherwise harms your skin badly!
What food items are best to have if you have acne?
- Green & Leafy Vegetables
You should always include green & leafy vegetables in your diet routine because they are rich in nutrients that help the body function properly. Also, it’s very important to have a proper balance of vitamins and minerals instead of having too much or too little.
Fruits are rich in antioxidants that fight against all free radicals, i.e., harmful particles that cause acne problems. You can also use oranges, lemon juice, or strawberries by adding them to your salad to give it a sweet taste! So don’t forget to consume fresh fruits daily for acne-free skin.
- Carrots & Turnips
Carrots with turnips tops combined are very effective in treating acne problems because carrots boost skin health from the inside, and turnips can keep your skin clean from the outside.
- Almonds & Walnuts
As almonds are rich in Vitamin E, they help you achieve soft as well as healthy skin. Walnuts are also rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that reduce acne inflammation, a significant issue for those who have acne problems. So don’t forget to use these two ingredients next time you serve a salad at dinner!
- Salmon, Baked Potatoes & Brown Rice
Salmon has omega-3 fatty acids that fight against free radicals, and it’s one of the best food items for those who have severe acne problems. Also, baked potatoes with brown rice combination are good because potato also has vitamin B6, which removes toxins from the body, and rice is a complex carbohydrate that adds to your daily diet routine. So make a healthy mixture of all these food items to give you a complete nutritious meal!
Recommended lifestyle changes to prevent acne:
- Try to keep your skin moist by using moisturizing products
- You should always wear sunscreen when you go out in the Sun
- Always have a good night’s sleep of a minimum of 6-8 hours so that your body can get rid of all toxins properly through the night
- Limit your consumption of alcohol, caffeine & junk food as they cause acne problems in most cases
- Try to use green tea instead of coffee in the morning because green tea is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties that fight against acne problems. So it’s recommended to use green tea regularly!
- Try to avoid stress as much as possible because it creates a hormonal imbalance, resulting in acne breakouts.
- If you have regular bowel movements, then you are least prone to acne problems! So include fiber-rich food items, another healthy diet to achieve complete nourishment of your body! If not, try to drink water daily and walk after dinner so that food gets digested properly!
- The more you sweat, the better it is for your skin because it removes toxins from the body, so try to exercise daily!
- You should also give importance to your mental health because acne problem affects physical appearance and mental state, so try meditation or yoga to relax your mind!
- When you are stressed out too much, you tend to have oily skin, which causes acne problems. So always remember that prevention is better than cure & drink plenty of water daily along with a healthy diet to achieve clear and glowing skin naturally!
When to visit a doctor for acne?
- If acne is accompanied by severe itching, swelling, or pain, then you should consult a good dermatologist immediately!
- You must go for medical help if your acne does not disappear even after using over-the-counter medications, as it may be a sign of bacterial infection.
- Also, the patient should take proper medical advice which has used Proactive or other skin care products because they contain harsh chemicals which can irritate sensitive skin & even cause breakouts! So stop using them and visit a dermatologist to get better results for your skin.
- Please don’t try home remedies like toothpaste, baking soda, etc., because they contain chemicals that can cause more harm than benefits to your skin! Consult a doctor instead and try natural remedies for acne problems to achieve better results!
- Pregnant women or those who are breastfeeding should not self-medicate as there are chances that the chemicals from those products may enter your bloodstream and affect your child and damage your internal organs. So be careful and consult a dermatologist before using them on any medical advice!
- You should not use home remedies or self-medication for acne when you have a fever, flu, headache, etc., because it may aggravate the condition and cause more harm than good!
- Always wear sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 15, protecting your skin from harmful UVA & UVB rays. Try to avoid direct sunlight exposure between 10 am to 4 pm as much as possible because that is when Sun’s intensity is very high and may damage your skin severely! So always remember this golden rule while going outside on summer days!
Opt for homeopathic acne treatment:
- Homeopathy is a natural acne treatment that does not have any harmful side effects on the skin. It’s based on a holistic approach, so it treats acne from inside and outside. Homeopathic medicines help reduce sebum secretion and kill the bacteria present inside & outside the skin pores effectively!
- Homeopathy treats you not only from the inside but also regulates your daily routine to prevent acne problems.
- Homeopathic remedies for acne are made up of natural ingredients, so your skin gets clean & clear naturally without any side effects on your skin!
- Homeopathy is an alternative medicine system with natural ways of treating the problem rather than prescribing harsh chemicals like antibiotics, antifungals, or steroids that can cause damage to internal organs!
- So always go for a doctor who has sound knowledge in this field and tries to find out the root cause of the problem instead of prescribing medicines that mask the symptoms.
- If you are worried about the side effects, opt for homeopathy treatment for acne. It is a perfect way to get rid of acne naturally without any side effects. Homeopathy treats your acne condition from inside and outside simultaneously, so it gives better results within just two weeks.
Homeopathic medicines are safe, non-toxic & effective, so always prioritize them over other medical options! Acne is not only physical but also emotional, so consult a good homeopathy doctor who even listens to your problems patiently before prescribing any acne treatment. You can book an appointment with OHO Homeopathy if you are struggling with acne!